Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sweetwater Wetlands, Tucson, AZ

January 31, 2010

I'm trying to get in as much Arizona birding as possible before we move to Virginia, so this morning I got up and made the 10-minute drive to the Sweetwater Wetlands. Very easy and convenient. Who knows what our new living situation will bring - good birding I hope!

I was greeted at the entrance bridge with Least Sandpipers, many Audobon's Warblers, and some Chipping Sparrows. Walking along the trails I spotted an Orange-crowned Warbler, several Black Phoebes, and a flock of Yellow-headed Blackbirds and as I walked further their numbers increased among the reeds.

I got to see many of the usuals at the ponds: Nothern Shoveler, Buffelhead, Mallard, American Black Duck, American Coot, Gadwall, a couple Cinnamon Teals and Ring-necked Ducks. Some of the recharge basins had water and held hundreds, if not thousands of waterfowl. Unfortunately, my gear doesn't consist of a scope and I only got to scan with my binoculars.

As I left, crossing the bridge once again, I stopped with the other birders and got to see my first Yellow Warbler! Amongst the butter-butts :-) Starting out to my car I stopped at one of the mesquite trees and spotted a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Say's Phoebe, and Cactus Wren. And some I probably missed - all noted in my eBird!

No comments:

Post a Comment