Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Benson & St. David

Located in Southeastern Arizona, about 1-hour south of Tucson.

On Sunday, January 3, 2010 I took a short birding trip to the area, a place I once lived. I wanted to visit Holy Trinity Monastery where I worked in the office. But first I stopped off at the Benson wastewater pond and spotted: Green-winged Teal, Bufflehead, Ring-necked Duck, Cassin's Kingbird, and Say's Phoebe. It's right next to the Animal Shelter and the barking dogs were abundant (poor things).

Around the HTM pond (near the cemetary) were: Lesser Scaup, Pied-billed Grebe, Gadwall. I walked in the area below the chapel and saw: Northern Flicker, Verdin, Curve-billed Thrasher, Northern Mockingbird, Roadrunner, Pyrrhuloxia, White-crowned Sparrow. Continuing down toward the actual trail by the San Pedro river I spotted a mystery bird that I want to say was a Yellow-headed Blackbird. I walked the trail and then walked along the river's edge but saw and heard absolutely nothing. When I started walking back I saw a Roadrunner, Gila Woodpecker, and European Starling. I stopped in at the small conservatory and saw some House Finches. I was tired and hungry so started home.

No comments:

Post a Comment